DATE: to be announced PRICE: to be announced
Plant in vitro cultures (course dedicated for students)
Who is invited?
We cordially invite secondary school and university students interested in broadly understood natural sciences to participate in a practical biotechnology course that will help them to make important decisions in terms of further career path and self-development. The participants shall broaden interests related to conducting modern in vitro plant cultures.
Are you wondering how to grow plants in jars in practice? How to get a whole plant from a piece of leaf? How to grow callus or hairy roots tissue? How to genetically modify plants in laboratory conditions? Would you like to do your own laboratory experiments under the watchful eye of specialists? The course we propose is just for YOU 😊
During the course you will learn not only how to work in the laboratory, but also learn about modern techniques of vegetative propagation of plants in laboratory conditions – you will see how plants grow in liquid cultures and on plates, how parts of their organs look under a microscope, you will get to know how to use laboratory equipment, prepare reagents, media and microscopic samples. You will see how interesting are the shapes of plant cells under a microscope, you will conduct an experiment of introducing a selected plant to in vitro cultures under the supervision of specialists.
- Theoretical introduction enriched by multimedia presentations and films: profiting from the totipotency for plant regeneration, composition of media for in vitro cultures, sterilization of media, types of plant cultures carried out in vitro
- Health and safety rules in the laboratory of plant in vitro cultures – laboratory equipment, personal protective equipment
- Operating basic laboratory equipment in the laboratory of plant in vitro cultures. How to handle scales, pipettes, pH meters, autoclaves, biosafety chambers, phytotrons?
- Good Laboratory Practices
- Preparation of media for growing plants in vitro
- Plant micropropagation
- Theoretical introduction enriched with multimedia presentations and films focused on the use of in vitro cultures in plant protection, food production, medicine and ornamental plants cultivation
- Artificial seeds – encapsulation
- Introducing to in vitro cultures various plant species
- Microscopic visualizations
During the course you will on your own: use laboratory equipment, prepare nutrient media and reagents for in vitro plant cultures, set up in vitro plant cultures, prepare artificial seeds and conduct microscopic visualizations of plant samples.
The course will be conducted in small groups (up to 8 people) in the Research & Development Laboratory of IFB UG & MUG (20 Podwale Przedmiejskie street, 80-824 Gdańsk, Poland). Each participant will conduct experiments on his own under the supervision of our specialists in order to obtain the necessary laboratory practice. The courses will be conducted by experienced academia teachers and practitions. The participants will receive certificates confirming acquisition of the practical skills.
If you need a specialized course from the field of science popularisation, molecular biology, microbiology, ISO standards, bioinformatics or chemistry feel free to contact our team. We collaborate with specialists from various fields and may prepare an individual offer for your group. Contact details:
dr Agata Motyka-Pomagruk (email@example.com; +48 606 406 058)
dr Wojciech Śledź (firstname.lastname@example.org; +48 603 297 737)
In the case of participation in the training of an employee raising professional qualifications and financing from public funds, it is possible to obtain a tax exemption after providing an appropriate statement. The statement should be signed by an authorized person. The scanned statement should be sent during registration for the course; the original can be delivered on the start date.